Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Final Chapter

The following day Anna-Lena, and Cathrin, two children and I drove to a living museum that represented Swedish Ostrobothnian communities over 100 years ago and the same period of time when my great-grandparents were growing up in the area.   There were lots of interesting things to learn such as: how children were schooled while the country was occupied by Russia, how they dried bread on poles on the ceiling and reconstituted them months later, that their beds were short so they could half sit-half lie down at night to keep from drowning, and the steep steps in the houses to keep from returning from the dead.  It was interesting to walk through the little village they had set up and see the different homes and trades represented.  I loved it.















We then took a small boat to an island summer home on Kasminet.  I loved the boat ride (even though I was tenuous about going at first)  The area was enchanting with a house on the beach surrounded by forests and flowers…can there be a better combo?  The children rowed around in the boats and ended splashed and played in the water while I gather Baltic Sea sand for my mother.  It was fabulous!

I ended the day with Inger coming and taking me on a trip to see the stone bridges and take a tour of the town of Oravais.  It was a heart-warming adventure.











in the boat with the life jacket that was an actual jacket...felt paddedly stylish and love the greasy hair!!



My final days included visiting a first cousin of my grandmother, Ines, in her home and gardens.  We played with an awesome futbol playing collie, watched the calves (and felt the longing to go and play and pet them)  and looked at family research that I had not yet seen and learn even more about the Lassus side of my family history and the Lassus name.  It was awesome!!
My final day was visiting with Anna-Lena, Ann-Cathrin, their mother, and meeting their brother Kaj and his wife Monica and their children.   We had a delicious dinner and fabulous view from the deck of their beautiful home.  I learned a new game called black maga and was trounced by the seven year old, but that is okay because I beat her in potato on the spoon races.

It was a great end to a whirlwind and magical Finnish history, sights, and friendship trip.  I am grateful for the friendships I have made and the learning I had.  It was difficult to say goodbye and I am still overwhelmed by the hospitality and generous outpouring of acceptance and love that I experienced.  It felt like home, the family felt like my family.  I am glad to be able to meet them all and experience their lives and families.  It is a trip and experience I will never forget and will cherish in my heart forever. <3 span="">.
the family sheep...17 years old



No comments:

Post a Comment